Banks Mill is a refurbished landmark building, only a few minutes’ walk from the city centre. The building has been fitted out with good quality studios for practitioners working within the creative industries, such as artists, designers and makers. Ideally, applicants should be individuals or graduates starting out, or recently established in business, although more mature businesses are also considered.
There are 38 studios ranging from 65 square feet to 315 square feet which can be used as either clean or dirty workspaces. The studios are spread over five floors and are open daily (except certain Bank Holidays) from 5am until midnight.
Applicants are offered up to a maximum of six-years occupancy with rent reduced by 50% in the first year of incubation and steps increasing annually. Year 1 fees range from £75 per month for the smallest studio to £320 per month for the largest.
Details of the studios are as follows:
- Sandblasted brickwork, white painted stud walls, wooden floors (at ground level the floors are concrete)
- Good natural light, with most studios having large areas of window
- Standard fluorescent strip lighting
- Standard sized doors with individual locking
- Sink and cold water feed (except smaller fourth floor studios)
- Supplied with standard double electrical sockets. The studios on the ground floor have additional three-phase electricity
- Purchase of electricity by card system (£10/£5 cards)
- Business and water rates included within monthly fee
Take a virtual tour of Banks Mill here
Banks Mill provides a nurturing and supportive environment for new creative businesses, increasing the potential for growth, success and sustainability. The vibrant creative community helps to build confidence and explore ideas and opportunities.
Support is available through the critical stages of start-up and growth, helping young businesses to flourish. This assistance is provided right from the beginning, when an idea is just the seed of something great and guides you through business planning, launch and expansion.
- One-to-one business support sessions
- Workshops and events on topical and relevant business issues
- Opportunities to network
- Promotion of your business through our monthly e-newsletter and profile on our website
- Option to exhibit – through our annual Open Studios event, solo foyer shows, or as part of a number of co-ordinated Banks Mill group exhibitions
- Affordable, stepped rental charges for up to 6 years
Find out how we can support your business